FAIRFIELD TOWNSHIP, Ohio (WXIX) – The suspect in a fatal Walmart shooting in the northern suburbs of Cincinnati on Thursday night was taken into Butler County police custody early Friday, according to Fairfield Township Police Capt. Doug Lanier.

Police say the shooter is Anthony Freeman Brown, 32, of Hamilton.

He was taken into custody in Middletown, in the Lowe’s parking lot near Roosevelt Boulevard and Interstate 75 shortly after 4 a.m., Lanier confirmed.

Brown was booked into the Butler County Jail at 6 a.m. for aggravated murder, aggravated robbery and incapacitated possession of weapons, according to Sgt. Mike Farthing.

Other charges may be pending, according to police.

According to Butler County dispatchers, police located the suspect via cellphone at the Fairfield Inn near Lowe’s.

A SWAT team arrived and a FOX19 NOW team at the scene observed multiple law enforcement officers entering the hotel to begin searching for Brown just after 4 a.m.

A few minutes later, our team saw a man in a red T-shirt running out of the hotel, fleeing from the police. They chased him down and took him into custody without further incident.

The SWAT team and Lanier left the scene at 4:40 a.m.

Authorities searched for Brown overnight after he said he shot people during an attempted robbery at the Fairfield Township Walmart store just before 8 p.m. Thursday.

The store is located on Princeton Road near Ohio Bypass 4.

One of the victims was shot in the head and the other in the chest, police said.

One person was pronounced dead at the scene, Lanier said.

The other victim was taken to UC West Chester Hospital in critical condition, he said.

Here are more details announced by police early Friday:

Officers were dispatched to Walmart for shots fired inside the store. Before they arrived, dispatchers provided a grim update: Two victims were shot inside the store and the shooter was gone.

Witnesses gave police the description of the suspect, which included a COVID-19 mask.

Those witnesses said he attempted to steal items from the electronics section, according to the police statement.

“A customer intervened and the suspect was able to walk away and run to the front of the store where another customer attempted to arrest him. The suspect pulled out a handgun and shot and killed this shopper,” a wrote the police in the press release.

“Another person who was in the area was also hit by a bullet and was transported for medical attention. The suspect vehicle has been located by Hamilton PD and detectives are interviewing a passenger who was in that car as well as other witnesses.

After the shooting, the suspect fled the scene in a vehicle, which was located Thursday night by the Hamilton Police Department after the shooting in the area of ​​13th Street and Hensley Avenue, police say.

A male who is not the suspect was in the vehicle at the time, and police are “currently working with that individual,” Lanier said.

FOX19 NOW Morning News will continue to update this story live and across all of our digital platforms.

See a spelling or grammatical error in our story? Please include the title when you Click here to report it.

Copyright 2022 KWTX. All rights reserved.


Former deputy warden pleads guilty to beating Mississippi inmate


2B State Softball: Toledo runs out of gas, hits Warden but can't cut Colfax | Sports

Check Also